Nintendo Switch Root Film
Release Date: 19 March 2021
Unravel a 10-year-old mystery lost in 35mm film
Root Film is a thrilling adventure game with visual novel elements. Follow Rintaro Yagumo as he is selected to be the director for the rebooted "Shimane Mystery Drama Project”, a TV series that was canceled for an unknown reason 10 years ago. His excitement for this amazing opportunity is quickly curbed when a horrible murder interrupts their location scouting process.
Follow him and a cast of unique and memorable characters as they are drawn deeper into a thrilling mystery. Become your own detective as you unravel the truth through investigative gameplay mechanics, adding a new layer to the visual novel formula.
- A TOP GRADE VISUAL NOVEL FROM MASTERS OF THE GENRE - Root Film is a visual novel that takes players back to Shimane prefecture, the location of the award-winning Root Letter, entangling them in a new independent story that delivers a mysterious atmosphere
- NEW ORIGINAL PLOT MIXING MYSTERY & MURDER - After the success of the award-winning “Root Letter”, Kadokawa Games is back with a new and independent story. Mixing mystery with murder, Root Film is a gripping visual novel that will make you shiver but ask for more!
- EXPERIENCE SHIMANE'S ENIGMATIC ATMOSPHERE - Immerse yourself in this faithful recreation of Shimane prefecture and its environments – known for being home to Japanese mythology. The beautiful backgrounds will reinforce the immersion!
- EXCEPTIONAL PRODUCTION VALUES - Japanese anime style illustrations with top-notch production values that suits the genre. The comic style dialogue used to show the narration points to the character making it easy to follow the narration
- A DARKER, GRITTY AND MORE MATURE STORY - A well-written story with a diverse cast of interesting characters, perfect for anyone who likes to get stuck into a game with plenty of depth. A mystery visual novel with a dark intricate story putting the characters at centre
- HYBRID OF TWO DIFFERENT GENRES - Switch between Rintaro Yagumo or his sister Riho to investigate the murder and confront suspects with innovative gameplay elements. Make wise choices and battle key characters using the Max-mode, a fighting-game like face-off
- ONE OF THE MOST SOPHISTICATED & INTERACTIVE STORIES EVER MADE - The highlight of these investigations are the interactives mechanics never seen in a visual Novel! The experience is divided into three modes: the zapping mode - that reveals the perspective of two characters, the max mode - a completely renewed system and much better Max Mode from Root Letter and the intuition mode – allowing the players to test their observation skills and memorise keywords during conversations